View Issue Details Jump to Notes ] Print ]
IDProjectCategoryView StatusDate SubmittedLast Update
0013778ParaViewBugpublic2013-01-09 15:582016-08-12 09:59
ReporterJeff Mauldin 
Assigned ToAndy Bauer 
PriorityurgentSeverityminorReproducibilityunable to reproduce
PlatformOSOS Version
Product Version3.98.0 
Target VersionFixed in Version 
Summary0013778: catalyst: vector variables have extraneous '_' appended in coprocessing script output
DescriptionThe basic problem here is as follows. To create a coprocessing visualization script with Catalyst, you are using the coprocessing plugin. The data item in question is a vector variable, such as displacement. You create the coprocessing script by loading an exodus file which is a stand-in for the data which will be generated during the simulation.

So: you bring up paraview, load the coprocessing plugin, and load the stand-in exodus data. You make a simple view which involves the vector variable (e.g. color by the displacement accepting the default use of the vector magnitude for the coloring value). Then dump out a script using the coprocessing plugin.

The script will not work properly during coprocessing visualization. The reason is that a '_' has been appended the the variable name during the process (e.g. the variable is 'displ' but comes out in the script as 'displ_').

A workaround is available, which is to go through the python script and change all the offending strings by removing the '_' (e.g. 'displ_' to 'displ'). However, given the already high bar of using paraview to generate the script, having to go and edit the python before use is a bridge too far for almost any user.

This appears to be somewhat related to to exodus reader. I think (but I'm not exactly sure how it works) that the data in the exodus file actually appears as three separate variables, one for each vector component (e.g. displ_x, displ_y, displ_z). The exodus reader combines these into a single vector variable with a given name (displ_).

I'm not precisely sure of a solution here. Perhaps the thing to do is to allow some automatic editing of the variable names either at exodus read time or coprocessing script write-out time (e.g. optionally remove a trailing '_' from vector names in the coprocessing script output).
TagsNo tags attached.
Topic Name
Typeincorrect functionality
Attached Files


Andy Bauer (developer)
2013-01-09 18:04

I tried reproducing your problem and wasn't able to. I used the disk_out_ref.ex2 exodus file in VTKData ( [^]) using the V variable and the can.ex2 exodus file in ParaViewData (available at [^]) with DISP. What version of ParaView are you using? I'm using the head repo but don't think this should have changed since 3.98 came out. Any chance you could share an exodus file which you're getting this behavior with?

This is obviously bad behavior as ideally a user should never have to modify the python script unless they want to change the output behavior.
Andy Bauer (developer)
2013-01-10 10:37

Waiting for feedback before I can change this to active development.
Kitware Robot (administrator)
2016-08-12 09:59

Resolving issue as `moved`.

This issue tracker is no longer used. Further discussion of this issue may take place in the current ParaView Issues page linked in the banner at the top of this page.

 Issue History
Date Modified Username Field Change
2013-01-09 15:58 Jeff Mauldin New Issue
2013-01-09 17:43 Andy Bauer Assigned To => Andy Bauer
2013-01-09 18:04 Andy Bauer Note Added: 0030052
2013-01-10 10:37 Andy Bauer Note Added: 0030053
2013-01-10 10:37 Andy Bauer Status backlog => todo
2013-01-17 13:11 Andy Bauer Reproducibility have not tried => unable to reproduce
2013-01-17 13:11 Andy Bauer Category (No Category) => Bug
2016-08-12 09:59 Kitware Robot Note Added: 0038312
2016-08-12 09:59 Kitware Robot Status todo => closed
2016-08-12 09:59 Kitware Robot Resolution open => moved

Copyright © 2000 - 2018 MantisBT Team