[Paraview] particle tracking on top of unsteady flow solution

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Tue May 20 15:35:43 EDT 2014

OK try this. Apply a Programmable Filter to the csv file. Turn on advanced
properties on that panel and use the following scripts:

Script:

oi = self.GetOutputInformation(0)
ut = oi.Get(vtk.vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline.UPDATE_TIME_STEP())
t = inputs[0].RowData['t']
output.RowData.append(numpy.transpose(inputs[0].RowData['x'][t==ut]), 'x')
output.RowData.append(numpy.transpose(inputs[0].RowData['y'][t==ut]), 'y')
output.RowData.append(numpy.transpose(inputs[0].RowData['z'][t==ut]), 'z')

RequestInformation script:

oi = self.GetOutputInformation(0)

oi.Remove(vtk.vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline().TIME_STEPS())

oi.Append(vtk.vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline().TIME_STEPS(), 0)

oi.Append(vtk.vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline().TIME_STEPS(), 1)

oi.Remove(vtk.vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline().TIME_RANGE())

oi.Append(vtk.vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline().TIME_RANGE(), 0)

oi.Append(vtk.vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline().TIME_RANGE(), 1)

The csv file looks like:

x,y,z,t

0, 0, 0, 0

1, 0, 0, 0

2, 0, 0, 0

1, 0, 0, 1

2, 0, 0, 1

3, 0, 0, 1

If the column names are different, you can adjust the Script code.

After this filter, you can apply Table to Points and Glyph usual way. The
heart of this is the inputs[0].RowData['x'][t==ut] bit. This selects
elements from an array that fit a certain criteria. In this case t == ut
where t is the time column value and ut is the time value requested from
the filter by ParaView's animation engine. If you are running into an
issue, make sure that the values in the csv file match exactly the values
in the simulation file. If there are round off errors, you may have to
implement a more complicated logic in the file to round the ut value to one
that is closest in the table.

Best,

-berk