[Paraview] particle tracking on top of unsteady flow solution

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Tue May 13 10:59:23 EDT 2014

Hi Tom-Robin,

ParaView does not support having a time series of particles within a single
csv file. You can have a file series of csv files as described here:

http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Users_Guide/Loading_Data

Unfortunately, you will not be able to specify a time value in this case.
ParaView will pick 0, 1, 2 etc.

To be able to specify time values, you will have to use a  format such as
pvd or Xdmf. Of course, I just noticed that we have absolutely no
documentation on the PVD format :-) We'll fix that. Here is some info:

http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/~slombey/asci/vtk/

Xdmf is better documentation.

Both of these formats support ASCII content. Xdmf supports having all of
the data in one file although if you have thousands of time steps, the file
may get somewhat bulky.

-berk