[Paraview] memory allocation problem when saving animation

Daniel Breton daniel.j.breton at dartmouth.edu
Wed Oct 5 14:26:14 EDT 2011

Hello all--

I am running Fedora 15, 64 bit and I have been having the same problems.  Tried
to compile the 3.12 version from source, but I could not make any headway with
ccmake and the build instructions from KitWare.  EMPTY CACHE... ok, now what?
Gave up on that.

I then downloaded the binary version (originally compiled for Debian), and got
this error when I tried to run it:

[dan at sbox bin]$ ./paraview
/home/dan/ParaView-3.12.0-RC2-Linux-x86_64/lib/paraview-3.12/paraview: error
while loading shared libraries: libbz2.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file:
No such file or directory

The only thing I could think of was to put in a link to the correct location
like so and hope for the best:

whereis libbz2.so.1.0
cd ParaView-3.12.0-RC2-Linux-x86_64/lib/paraview-3.12/
ln -s /lib64/libbz2.so.1 libbz2.so.1.0

..and yes, the filenames are slightly different to "fool" the binary

Anyway, this seems to work... I can now save animations but only if I go to
Edit-->Settings... and then
1. disable geometry caching
2. enable Immediate Mode Rendering

Without the second thing, I get the same memory explosion and crash as before.

Hope this helps someone,