[Paraview] vtk files with different time steps

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed May 4 09:36:51 EDT 2011

I believe that the file series reader ignores the actual numbers that
distinguish files series and just assigns them sequential integers for
time (0, 1, 2, 3,...).  If you think ParaView should be using the indices
in the filenames for the time value (a reasonable request), then you
should add a suggestion to ParaView uservoice
(http://paraview.uservoice.com).

ParaView will synchronize the times correctly if the appropriate time
value is recorded in the files, but the basic VTK files do not store time
step.  You can create a .pvd file that provides time values for the time
series of .vti files.  I don't think it yet supports .vtk files, but if
you convert it to .vtp or .vtu it would work.

Alternatively, a quick a dirty way to just get things working is to use
the temporal shift scale filter to adjust the time series to match.  Scale
the particle time by 30 and the fluid time by 300.

-Ken

   ****      Kenneth Moreland
    ***      Sandia National Laboratories
*** *** ***  email: kmorel at sandia.gov