[Paraview] Problems writing Ensight Gold format

Zhanping Liu zhanping.liu at kitware.com
Mon Mar 15 12:34:59 EDT 2010

Hi Erik:

   Debug shows that your cell data files (test*.00) are not in valid EnSight
Gold format.
A valid binary 'Scalar per Element' (i.e., scalar cell data) file begins
with a 80-char description
line, followed by a 80-char line that contains token 'part'. Then comes with
an integer (in binary)
that serves as the part / zone Id. What follows is a list of element (cell)
types with the
associated element (cell) based scalar values. Specifically, each element /
cell type occupies
a 80-char line. The 'block' section should come at the very end of a 'scalar
per element' file,
whereas the 'block' token emerges at the third line (while actually the
aformentioned integer value in binary
--- the part/zone Id is expected) of your file.

   Please note that even a binary EnSight Gold file usually contains chars
(e.g., description
lines and EnSight tokens) and in this case, the chars are encoded in the
file on a 80-char-line basis
and each such line ends with a cariage-return symbol.
   Please reference pp. 536, the EnSight User Manual (
http://vis.lbl.gov/NERSC/Software/ensight/docs82/UserManual.pdf)
to find the valid format for a 'scalar per element' file. Also, you may use
EnSight Format Checker
(http://aero.ist.utl.pt/~rreis/ens_checker.32 and
http://aero.ist.utl.pt/~rreis/ens_checker.64)
to check your EnSight files, though these two checkers are 'necessary' but
not 'sufficient'.

   -Zhanping

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Erik Keever <ejkeever at nerdshack.com> wrote:

> Zhanping:
>
> Thank you for helping. I can't send them over email (my msg limit is 10MB)
> so
> I have to upload and link to them:
>
> http://ejksdesktop.homelinux.com/univ/testx.00
> http://ejksdesktop.homelinux.com/univ/testy.00
>
> I wish I could say "any scalar file with 25MB of zeros will do" but with my
> luck that may not be the case.
>
> -- Erik
>
> On Tuesday 09 March 2010, you wrote:
> > Erik:
> >
> >     I will check it and could I have a copy of the variable files?
> >
> >    Thanks.
> >
> >     -Zhanping
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 1:17 AM, Erik Keever <ejkeever at nerdshack.com>
> wrote:
> > > Hello again,
> > >
> > > After some generous help off-list I have run into a brick wall trying
> > > get
> > > PV to work with the ensight files I am writing.
> > >
> > > I have been testing the case and geometry files attached and have the
> > > binary
> > > scalar files referenced in them. PV opens the .case, throws no errors,
> > > shows 'energy' and 'mass' under cell/point array status, and then...
> > > nothing.
> > >
> > > It refuses to admit the existance of anything except the structured
> grid
> > > itself, no matter what I do. I can click the checkboxes and press apply
> > > til the cows come home but nothing works. It _does_ read the scalars
> > > because it _does_ complain if the files aren't there, it just won't
> show
> > > or do anything.
> > > Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?
> > >
> > > -- Erik

> > > Powered by www.kitware.com
> > >
> > > Visit other Kitware open-source projects at
> > > http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html
> > >
> > > Please keep messages on-topic and check the ParaView Wiki at:
> > > http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView
> > >
> > > Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:

Zhanping Liu, PhD
Kitware, Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662