[Paraview] Image filters & extent

Bryn Lloyd blloyd at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Mon Mar 9 07:27:15 EDT 2009

Hi,

I have been having trouble with writing image filter plugins. If the
extent of the output image is larger than the input image extent, I
get all sorts of problems.

I have tried using various parent classes, including
vtkImageAlgorithm. Currently I am using vtkDataSetAlgorithm (I thought
it would not try to be as "clever" as the vtkImageAlgorithm, but it
seems to be the same thing).

1. The full extent is not visualized:
by setting the the extent of the output in RequestData I managed to
get the visualization right:

   outInfo->Set( vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline::WHOLE_EXTENT(),
DataExtent, 6 );
   outInfo->Set( vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline::UPDATE_EXTENT(),
DataExtent, 6 );

2. Unfortunately, even with the addition above, the information
(extent, dimensions etc.) are not shown correctly in the "Information
tab" in paraview. Strangely enough, if I change a parameter of the
filter and call Apply a second time, the values in the information tab
are suddenly correct.

What I want is really a simple way to generate an output image with
different size/extent than the input image, without having all this
trouble setting pipeline information. Is there a way?

Thanks
Bryn